Sunday, March 13, 2005

Calls

I had another clinical shift with the big city fire department on Friday night. We were busy, but none of the calls required ALS care, so no skills. Actually, the firehouse was better for calls than the medic unit. Saturday morning started off with a pretty substantial trauma at about 1000. A gentleman was driving on one of the major highways in the area and lost control of his car and put it sideways into a tree. Beer bottles and half empty liquor bottles were strewn about the inside of the car and the scene. The car was almost in an "L" shape from hitting the tree so hard. The squad arrived just before us and began extricating while I began patient care. My partner was useless, he ran to the squad and began trying to take tools off and extricate. I was FURIOUS with him, I could have used his help, aside from the fact that extrication was not his job, because he was on the ambulance. Someone needs to teach that idiot the difference between an ambulance and a rescue squad. One other minor detail that puzzled/angered me but was not my responsibility was that the carreer lieutenant from the squad had obviously never used Hurst tools before, because he was BEATING the roof of the car with the O cutters. I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish with that extrication technique.... Anyhow, when we arrived the patient was unconscious but breathing with a decent carotid pulse. There were a few abrasions to his face, and LOTS of blood coming from his left ear. Extrication took about 10 minutes, and we boarded and collared him and brought him to the medic unit to wait for the helicopter. A better physical exam done in the unit revealed unequal pupils that weren't reactive, i.e. this guys in crappy shape. The rest of the call was uneventful, the helicopter transported to a local trauma center.

The other call worthy of note was in our first due area for a child having seizures, with no prior history of a seizure disorder. We arrived to find a postictal 7 year old female, afebrile, who promptly began seizing for us. We brought her out to the ambulance just as the paramedics were arriving. They ditched their unit and we transported to to the children's hospital in the area. Turns out what we thought had been a postictal state was in fact just a continuation of the seizure activity. Her jaw never relaxed and she actually began to breathe better after the diazepam administered by the medics. They said (and it makes sense to me) that they were expecting to have to bag her after the med administration.

That was about all the excitement for the weekend. I'm chillin' at my aunt's house tonight with hopes of getting some reading done before class tomorrow.

Skills: 0
Music for now, none, my music is in my apartment and I'm not.